Monday, February 8, 2010

Mommy Meeting....I did it!!

I went to my first meeting-with-complete-strangers, Mommy group Saturday morning. You have to go to a public event before you can do private play dates at someone's house (for obvious reasons), so I bit the bullet...and went. Not only that, but I went without Bug. I had planned on bringing her as a distraction. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm so busy interacting with my daughter that I'm slightly anti-social and not wanting to talk to you complete strangers." I thought Bug would help break the ice. I'm SOOO not about going to meet strangers, which you wouldn't guess unless you knew me. I'm an outgoing and social person. I make friends really easily, BUT I need to be in a comfort zone...like a school or something. Yeah, I don't do the coffee outings with a bunch of women I never met. The outing was at Starbucks, so I knew I would be tempted to go in...check out the situation, and immediately turn around. These people don't know who I am. As I waited in line for my Chai tea, I saw a group of women with the tables pushed together. Ugh. I wanted to get my cup of warm deliciousness and hop in my car. I've got enough great friends of my own, who needs to make any more?? BUT, I came here for a reason. I wanted some mommy friends in my area who I could meet up with, join for play dates, and enjoy getting advice from. So I sucked it up, and went. I'm SOO proud of myself. There were only a couple people there since I went toward the end, but the girls there were really nice. I'm now looking forward to my Forsyth Mommies group. YAY!

7 comments:

Life As I Know It said...

Good for you! I'm not so great at meeting complete stranger groups, either. But sometimes the extra effort is worth it.

Jennifer said...

You are right - that is tough especially without your little one. Are you in GA? I saw it was a Forsyth group - my friend just moved to Suwanee.

F.T.M. said...

Yes, I am in GA. Suwanee is very close to me. I'm in Cumming. Actually, one of my former schools (I taught there) is in Suwanee. So your friend could be REALLY close depending on what part. I hope she likes it here. I've been here for 7 years this summer (from NY originally) and have loved it!

Unknown said...

Thats great!!! I'm like you still struggling to find mommy friends feel bad like im depriving my kids for a social life. ugh!! ...one day! So happy for you!

MyMomfessions said...

Good for you! I like having that comfort zone also, but being a military wife friends come and go. It is always nice to have ppl to hang out with from time to time. Following your from MBC!


http://mymomfessions.com

Unknown said...

That's great. Enjoy it with baby. They love it too:)

MommyB said...

Hooray!!! It's so nice to have mommy friends. My mom's group was my life saver, I didn't know a soul here in NC and now have made some life long friends, but the best part is that Little Miss A has some great friends too :) Hope you enjoy the group!!